Thursday, November 3, 2011

Sydney Modern Quilt Guild

Being a stay-at-home Mum and a very new quilter, one thing I have been longing for is a craft group where I could meet like-minded people, learn lots of cool stuff and be inspired.  Having followed blogs for about a year now, one thing I noticed was that in the US there are Modern Quilt Guilds and the stuff they do looks fun!!  About 6 months ago I started searching the internet for a Sydney or NSW equivalent but nothing was around.  The only quilting groups or guilds are for traditional quilters and whilst I could learn a lot about techniques, I find a lot of it quite drab.  For me a quilt is more than just a bunch of blocks, more than anything it's the fabric.  If you've been following my blog for a while then you'd know that I am a bit of a fabric addict (I really need to show you some recent purchases but I am a little embarrassed by my hoarding).

Anyway, you know how it is on the internet, somehow I ended up finding a blog by a couple of ladies who are starting up the Sydney Modern Quilt Guild.  I was super-excited, got in contact with Claire & Suzanne and attended the first meeting a couple of weeks ago!   It was a bit of a hike up to Waitara but the guild is keen to find alternative venues in a more central location, so I'm hopeful that I won't have to travel a long way for every meeting and that it won't put off other people from attending.  Since we were at the pub most people ordered lunch and there was time to chat and meet lots of lovely ladies.  There was some general discussion about the future of the guild (which included sewing days, learning new blocks, swaps etc.) and then time for show and tell.  Not everyone brought something, me included since my only two quilts are with their owners.  Here are a couple of quilts I photographed on the day, I forgot to take down details of the owners.  D'oh!  Please let me know if you have any idea so that I can give them credit for their work:

 I believe this is another Thimble Blossoms pattern - Wild Thing!
Some Prints Charming used in this

It's still early days for the guild so expect the first few meetings to be more about finding it's feet.  If you're a "modern" quilter looking for an alternative to the traditional quilting guilds then you can find more information and fill in the Call for Interest form on the Sydney Modern Quilt Guild blog.  The next guild meeting is scheduled for Sunday, 27 November.


Tell me, do you have a craft group where you get inspired and get "craft-talk" off your chest?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love getting comments! Thanks for stopping by.